House Bill 2 is a blatant attempt by anti-abortion politicians and their allies to work in tandem to make it harder for Kentuckians to access reproductive health care, including safe, legal abortion.
House Bill 2 will allow the attorney general to interfere with and undermine oversight of abortion care providers, instead of leaving it to career health experts in the Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS). House Bill 2 is clearly not about improving health and safety, as it singles out providers of abortion care – an already incredibly tightly regulated area of healthcare – and no other types of healthcare providers. Attorney General Cameron has demonstrated he would target abortion providers, and even punish them with criminal and civil penalties if he were given authorities like those in House Bill 2. This law will allow AG Cameron to penalize providers, even if health experts at CHFS disagree.
- Pre-filed: 12/3/20
- Introduced: 1/5/21
- Passed House Committee: 1/6/21
- Passed House: 1/7/21 (Vote: 75-18)
- Accepted by Senate: 1/7/21
- Passed Senate Committee: 1/8/21
- Passed Senate: 1/9/21 (Vote: 30-5)
- Delivered to Governor: 1/9/21
- Vetoed by Governor: 1/19/21
- Veto Override by House (73-20): 2/2/21
- Veto Override by Senate (32-5): 2/2/21
- House Bill Two Became Law: 2/2/21