Victory! This justice reform bill was signed into law.
Kentuckians under supervision need a fair shot at getting back on their feet. More than 50,000 Kentuckians are on probation or parole and are at risk of returning to jail or prison because of simple technical violations. These violations occur when someone breaks the conditions of their supervision. This could be as simple as arriving late to a meeting because of a wreck on the highway.
We support reforms that would, for example, require the Department of Corrections to adopt a system of graduated sanctions for technical violations to give formerly incarcerated Kentuckians a fair shot and to ease jail and prison overcrowding.
- Introduced: 1/16/20
- Passed House Committee: 2/5/20
- Passed House with Changes: 2/10/20 (Vote: 91-0)
- Accepted by Senate: 2/11/20
- Passed Senate Committee: 3/12/20
- Passed Senate with Changes: 3/18/20 (Vote: 22-8)
- Passed House with Senate Changes: 3/19/20 (Vote: 82-0)
- Sent to Governor: 3/19/20
- Signed into Law: 3/27/20