The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Kentucky located in Louisville seeks a full-time Legal Assistant.
The ACLU works to defend and expand individual rights and personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and state and federal civil rights laws. The ACLU legal team litigates a broad range of constitutional cases in state and federal courts, including, but not limited to, free speech, freedom of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive freedom, criminal justice, prison and jail conditions of confinement, immigrants’ rights, and privacy rights. An affiliate of the national ACLU, the state affiliate has members throughout Kentucky and engages with all levels of government.
Summary of Position:
The ACLU of Kentucky is seeking a full-time Legal Assistant to assist its attorneys with civil rights and civil liberties litigation. The Legal Assistant will work under the direction of the Legal Director and support the attorneys in the Legal Department.
- Manage legal intake process, including coordinating intake review, responses, and data entry;
- Manage filings, calendar deadlines, and ensure compliance with local rules in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels. Cite check and proofread pleadings to be filed with the courts;
- Assist in the review of large quantities of documents for relevance and use in active litigation;
- Prepare documents for filing in court using PACER and Kentucky’s eFiling system;
- Coordinate legal volunteers, including cooperating attorneys, and law interns;
- Maintain litigation records, including pleadings, exhibits, depositions, discovery documents, correspondence, memos and related documents.
- Prepare reports; and
- Perform other administrative tasks.
- Legal assistant or equivalent experience strongly preferred;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills. Successful candidates should have the ability to manage their own workflow in a fast‐paced, deadline driven environment while coordinating with multiple other department members.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong interpersonal aptitude;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, basic Excel functions, and Adobe Acrobat; or proven ability to troubleshoot and learn new software;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Ability to anticipate administrative needs and tasks;
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and multi-task under pressure and without sacrificing attention to detail;
- Commitment to ACLU’s mission required; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, immigration status, criminal history and socio‐economic circumstances, required;
- Familiarity with PACER, Lexis, and/or Westlaw strongly preferred;
- Familiarity or experience with civil rights and civil liberties issues preferred.
The ACLU of Kentucky offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package including paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, pension plan, life and long-term disability insurance and generous paid holidays. The salary for this position will be between $38-43,000 depending on experience.
Applications will only be accepted electronically in MSWord or PDF format, and must include the following:
- a detailed letter of interest,
- resume, and
- contact information for three professional references.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com and include “Legal Assistant Application” in the subject line.
The position will remain open until filled.
The ACLU of Kentucky is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Kentucky encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, immigration status, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.