Senate Bill 51 will make it easier for Kentuckians to access substance use disorder treatment by reducing administrative hurdles related to insurance coverage.
SB51 would prohibit insurers from requiring or using certain utilization reviews for certain drugs used to treat substance use disorder. This means Kentuckians in need of treatment will be able to access the medicines they need more quickly and at the direction of their healthcare providers instead of insurance providers.
SB51 will reduce incarceration rates, make Kentucky healthier, and strengthen Kentucky communities and families.
- Introduced: 1/5/21
- Passed Senate Committee: 2/10/21
- Passed Senate: 2/23/21 (Vote: 34-0)
- Accepted by House: 2/24/21
- Passed House Committee: 3/4/21
- Passed House with amendment: 3/30/21 (Vote: 87-2)
- Passed Senate with House amendment: 3/30/21 (Vote: 36-0)
- Delivered to Governor: 3/30/21
- Signed into law by Governor: 4/8/21