This anti-abortion bill was vetoed by the Governor. Lawmakers were not able to override the veto because they ended the legislative session before the Governor's veto. Lawmakers have already said they will make this a priority for the next legislative session.
Governor Beshear vetoed Senate Bill 9, which was passed late at night in the final three hours of the session. SB 9, the bill for the so-called “protection of infants born alive during an abortion,” was amended in the House to add the provisions of House Bill 451. HB 451 would have taken oversight of abortion providers from career health experts at the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, and permanently given it to the Office of the Attorney General. AG Cameron has made clear that if given this authority, he would shut down abortion providers during the ongoing COVID-19 state of emergency. The Governor’s veto was key to maintaining access to abortion care in the Commonwealth.
- Introduced: 1/13/20
- Passed Senate Committee: 1/23/20
- Passed Senate: 1/27/20 (Vote: 32-0)
- Accepted by House: 1/27/20
- Passed House Committee: 3/11/20
- Passed House with Changes: 4/15/20 (Vote: 70-16)
- Returned to Senate with Changes: 4/15/20
- Passed Senate with Changes: 4/15/20 (Vote: 30-2)
- Sent to Governor: 4/15/20
- Vetoed by Governor: 4/24/20