Decisions about pregnancy are personal and can be complicated. The best person to make that decision is the pregnant person themselves.
2021 was not the first time this legislation was filed. Senate Bill 9 became law without the Governor's signature. We will monitor the implementation of this law to protect every Kentuckian's right to abortion care.
Senate Bill 9, the so-called “protection of infants born alive during an abortion,” is not based in the real-life practice of medicine. It serves only to shame and ostracize patients and healthcare providers. SB9 is one part of Kentucky General Assembly's years-long campaign to push abortion care out of reach, bit by bit.
- Introduced: 1/5/21
- Passed Senate Committee: 1/6/21
- Passed Senate: 1/7/21 (Vote: 32-4)
- Accepted by House: 1/7/21
- Passed House Committee: 1/8/21
- Passed House: 1/9/21 (Vote: 76-18)
- Delivered to Governor: 1/9/21
- Became law without Governor's signature (If the Governor does not sign or veto a bill within 10 working days of receiving the bill, it becomes law without their signature.): 1/22/21