The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky (ACLU-KY) seeks to hire a skilled multimedia communications professional to support and enhance the organization’s strategic communications, digital outreach, and public advocacy efforts on a range of civil rights and civil liberties issues. Under the supervision of the communications director, the communications associate will translate our legal, policy, and public education work into powerful multimedia content to inspire, inform and move people to action.
Founded in 1955, the ACLU of Kentucky has been at the heart of many of the most important struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. We are one of 53 affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union nationwide.
As Communications Associate with the ACLU of Kentucky, you will join a team committed to fighting the toughest civil liberties and civil rights fights to defend all people, particularly the most vulnerable, from government abuse. We envision a world in which the Constitution’s promises of liberty, justice, and equality are fully realized for all people from all walks of life. We fight for a more perfect union in which America protects the rights of people who have not typically held the reins of political power. We seek to end mass incarceration, create police accountability, stop police brutality, establish privacy protections in the digital age, achieve freedom for LGBTQ people and immigrants, fight against attacks to reproductive freedom, dismantle institutional white supremacy and racism, and more.
The Communications Associate is a full-time position that will work out of our office in Louisville under the supervision of the Communications Director. Some nights and weekend work is required, as well as travel within the commonwealth and occasional travel out of state.
- Support and assist the organization’s internal and external communications programs.
- Create and manage multimedia content, including blog posts, advocacy emails, event pages, action alerts, online graphics, online advertising, videos, photography, audio clips, and social media posts.
- Plan, schedule, and implement a digital communications calendar for website content, promotional emails, and social media posts.
- Provide communications support to ACLU-KY events and actions, such as online ads, promotional emails, flyer creation, in-person technical assistance, and real-time documentation via photography and social media.
- Collect, analyze, and report data from ACLU-KY digital campaigns, such as social media engagement, online action conversions, email open rates, website visits, and more.
- Assist with the drafting, design, and production of written materials and publications, such as newsletters, press releases, factsheets, postcards, and more.
- Collaborate with Communications and program staff to identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of our advocacy, legal, and legislative work, and to generate web traffic, email list, and social media audience growth.
- Test and establish digital content strategies that further the ACLU-KY’s digital footprint and strategic goals.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity using personal and professional communications approaches that value people as individuals and respect differences of race, ethnicity, a record of arrest or conviction, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, national origin, and socio-economic circumstance.
- Other projects and duties as assigned
Ideal Experience and Qualifications
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU-KY and the advancement of civil liberties and civil rights in Kentucky.
- At least two years of experience in digital communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Ability to work well within a team, often in a fast-paced work environment under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience engaging and working with underrepresented communities.
- Familiarity and comfort with communications approaches that value people-centered, inclusive, humanizing language and visual storytelling.
- A keen eye for graphic design and visual storytelling, and experience creating and editing video content. Photography and audio experience is desirable.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, or similar design programs.
- Professional experience maintaining a website and posting social media content is highly desirable. Working knowledge of HTML and experience coding emails and/or web pages is a plus.
The ACLU of Kentucky offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package including paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, pension plan, life and long-term disability insurance and generous paid holidays. The salary for this position will be $37,000.
Please send applications to Executive Director Michael Aldridge at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Associate” in the subject line of the email.
Applications should include:
- A brief cover letter describing relevant experience and why you want to work for the ACLU of Kentucky
- Two writing samples
- Links to any other relevant work samples (social media posts, graphic design work, etc.)
- List of at least three professional references, including contact information for each.
All applications will be reviewed.
It will not be possible for us to accept telephone calls of inquiry.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, at which time the position announcement will be removed from our website.
Please indicate where you learned of this job posting.
The ACLU of Kentucky is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages immigrants, people of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, women, and formerly incarcerated and justice-impacted people to apply. We accept all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU-KY seeks to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: email@example.com.