If you only have time to call about a few bills, here's a list of what we're watching closely this week. It's more than normal, but several priority bills are moving quickly.
Calling the Legislative Message Line is one of the most effective ways to share your opinion with lawmakers. It only takes a minute and you don't even have to know your legislators' names. The message is line is open 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. ET, Monday - Thursday, and 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. ET on Friday. If you have time, call every day!
Read more about why calling matters and what to expect here.
or dial 1-800-372-7181
SUPPORT THESE BILLS:
- House Bill 21: Breonna's Law to ban no-knock warrants
- House Bill 25: allow Kentuckians with felony convictions to utilize Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship funds for higher education
- House Bill 50: increase access to mental healthcare
- House Bill 148: abolish the use of the death penalty against people with severe mental illness
- Senate Bill 30: protect LGBTQ children from "conversion therapy"
- Senate Bill 36: end automatic transfer of children to adult court for some charges
- Senate Bill 84: provide pregnant incarcerated people with the resources they need for safe, healthy pregnancies
- Senate Bill 247: increase police accountability
OPPOSE THESE BILLS:
- House Bills 336 and 447: prohibit healthcare providers from providing the care trans kids need
- House Bill 471 and Senate Bill 106: ban transgender children from school sports
- House Bill 479: expand Attorney General's powers to specifically target protesters and undermine decisions of local prosecutors
- House Bill 524: allow discrimination against parents seeking adoption, including discrimination based on the prospective parents' gender identity or sexual orientation, and religious beliefs
- Senate Bill 11: create new felony offenses that would harm low-income renters
- Senate Bill 83: allow any healthcare employee – from receptionists to physicians – to deny service to someone if it violates their personal beliefs