The ACLU of Kentucky joined a number of our allies in a protest against Kentucky Farm Bureau's discriminatory policies at their annual ham breakfast at the Kentucky State Fair.
As one of the state's largest anti-Fairness lobbyist groups, Kentucky Farm Bureau Federation promotes discriminatory policies that are anti-LGBT, anti-teacher, anti-union, anti-choice, and pro-death penalty, among others. Each year, Kentucky Farm Bureau customers are automatically charged a fee that enrolls them as members of the company's 501(c)4 lobbying arm. While every state and federal legislator is mailed a "Kentucky Farm Bureau Policies" manual, which details the group's discriminatory stances, the manual is not sent to paying customers.
KY Farm Bureau Policies:
- We are opposed to any state-supported agency providing benefits to “domestic” partners.
- The institution of marriage should only be recognized as the legal union of a man and a woman.
- We strongly oppose teacher strikes. We oppose legislation that mandates collective bargaining for public school employees.
- Alternative lifestyles should not be taught in public schools.
- We support the enactment of right-to-work legislation.
- We recommend the federal prevailing wage law be repealed when dealing with government contracts.
- We oppose an increase in the minimum hourly wage.
- We strongly oppose any mandate that would require any government entities to recognize and collectively bargain with employee unions.
- Furthermore, we oppose public employees being permitted to strike, organize work stoppage or slow-downs.
- We oppose unionization of farmers and farm laborers.
- We strongly believe in the value of all individuals both born and unborn.
- We support capital punishment.
Kentucky organizations opposing one or more of these policies include: ACLU-KY, Fairness Campaign, Fellowship of Reconciliation, Jefferson County Chapter of Kentuckians for the Commonwealth, Jefferson County Teachers Association, KY Alliance Against Racist & Political Repression, KY Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, KY Fairness Alliance, KY Jobs With Justice, KY Psychological Association, Lexington Fairness, Metropolitan Community Church, Sienna, W.E.N.C.H., Women In Transition
Want to TAKE ACTION against these policies? Print out and sign the Fairness Campaign petition here. More photos from the protest are available on our facebook page.